DOMA Challenge in Court Today
BY Julie Bolcer
May 06 2010 10:05 AM ET
Gill v. OPM differs from Perry v. Schwarzenegger, the
challenge to Proposition 8 in California, because of its narrower scope.
In contrast to the focus on federal benefits, plaintiffs in the more
expansive California case argue that there is a federal fundamental
right to marry.
“We are arguing that if a state says a couple is
married, then the federal government should respect that marriage for
purposes of benefits,” said Swislow. “If we are successful in our
lawsuit, it doesn’t mean that anyone can get married who can’t already
get married. This is not a marriage case. It’s about how legally married
same-sex couples get treated.”
Still, legal analysts see the
case as a potential building block for the Perry case, which is
widely expected to reach the Supreme Court. The
National Law Journal said Gill v. OPM “could be the gay
marriage test with the greatest national impact," and observers view the cases as complementary.
"The core issue that’s undermining both is equal protection," said Nancy Van Tine, a Massachusetts divorce lawyer and partner at the
Boston-based law firm, Burns and Levinson.
A decision is expected from the court within a few months to a year. Whichever side loses
is expected to appeal, a process that could take the case all the way to the high court.
"It will clearly be appealed beyond this level," said Van Tine. "I would think the Supreme Court would want to hear it."
Arguments before U.S. district judge
Joseph L. Tauro get under way Thursday at 10:30 a.m. in Boston.
The arguments will not be broadcast, but GLAD plans to tweet updates.
During the hearing, a fire alarm went off, prompting those in the courthouse to evacuate at approximately 11:40 a.m. Eastern time, according to Keen News Service.
Reporter Hannah Clay Wareham tweeted that U.S. marshals were spotted at the courthouse, but people were allowed back inside after approximately 25 minutes.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM