GetEqual to Protest ExxonMobil
BY Michelle Garcia
May 10 2010 2:40 PM ET
Grassroots organization GetEqual will focus on one of the largest
private businesses in the world this week when it protests at three ExxonMobil gas stations in Dallas.
The protests are to draw attention to ExxonMobil's business practices that are unfriendly to many gay employees, according to the Dallas Voice.
The company is one of the few evaluated by the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index with a score of zero. While Mobil had a gay-inclusive nondiscrimination policy and domestic-partner benefits, its merger with Exxon ended policy, and the benefits program was closed to new employees. Each year since 2000 — the companies merged in 1999 — shareholders have failed to reestablish the rescinded protections and benefits.
GetEqual's action on May 14 is to highlight the need for passage on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
“When the world’s largest publicly traded international oil and gas company with nearly 30,000 employees in the United States refuses to protect the LGBT community against workplace discrimination, it underscores the need for Congress to pass ENDA now,” GetEqual's Mark Reed told the Dallas Voice. “Every day that Congress does not act on ENDA is another day when lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees can be fired from ExxonMobil for simply being who they are.”
For more information on the rallies, visit the Boycott ExxonMobil page on Facebook.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins June 18 2013 5:44 PM