Lieberman Ready to Move on Partner Benefits Bill
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 20 2010 2:05 PM ET
A bill extending benefits to same-sex partners of gay federal employees could be introduced on the Senate floor “within weeks,” according to aides to Sen. Joseph Lieberman.
The Washington Post reports that the benefits would cost $310 million through 2020, according to Congressional Budget Office estimates.
Though some Republicans have criticized the legislation due to its potential cost, Lieberman said Tuesday, “This legislation would cost about two-hundredths of a percent of the federal government’s overall costs for the civilian workforce. That is a very small price to pay for the improvements we would see in recruitment, retention, and morale."
A House committee approved a similar a domestic-partner benefits bill in November, though the legislation has yet to receive a floor vote.
Last year President Barack Obama signed a memorandum extending certain benefits to partners of federal employees, though the most substantive benefits, such as most types of health care, were excluded.
Lieberman’s bill is expected to be introduced before July 4.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 18 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM