Sally Kern to Face Transgender Lawyer
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 09 2010 10:45 AM ET
Oklahoma state representative Sally Kern, who has called gay people more dangerous to the country than terrorists, will face a transgender opponent, attorney Brittany Novotny (pictured), in the general election for the Oklahoma City seat this fall.
Novotny, the state's first known transgender candidate, filed papers to run Tuesday.
According to the Tulsa World, Novotny, 30, said she would not focus the campaign on her gender identity, while Kern said she would avoid the issue.
“Novotny said Kern is pushing her personal agenda instead of focusing on issues that are important to House District 84, and because of that, the state and Kern's Oklahoma City district have suffered,” reports the World.
Kern, a Republican, and Novotny, a Democrat, may debate each other once this fall during an annual community forum.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Neil Patrick Harris Explains He Got Married for His Kids
- WATCH: Ellen Does Pot Brownies With Matthew McConaughey
- South African Mosque Welcomes Gays, Women, Christians, Muslims