Sally Kern to Face Transgender Lawyer
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 09 2010 9:45 AM ET
Oklahoma state representative Sally Kern, who has called gay people more dangerous to the country than terrorists, will face a transgender opponent, attorney Brittany Novotny (pictured), in the general election for the Oklahoma City seat this fall.
Novotny, the state's first known transgender candidate, filed papers to run Tuesday.
According to the Tulsa World, Novotny, 30, said she would not focus the campaign on her gender identity, while Kern said she would avoid the issue.
“Novotny said Kern is pushing her personal agenda instead of focusing on issues that are important to House District 84, and because of that, the state and Kern's Oklahoma City district have suffered,” reports the World.
Kern, a Republican, and Novotny, a Democrat, may debate each other once this fall during an annual community forum.
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 1 hour 57 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM