Sally Kern to Face Transgender Lawyer
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 09 2010 10:45 AM ET
Oklahoma state representative Sally Kern, who has called gay people more dangerous to the country than terrorists, will face a transgender opponent, attorney Brittany Novotny (pictured), in the general election for the Oklahoma City seat this fall.
Novotny, the state's first known transgender candidate, filed papers to run Tuesday.
According to the Tulsa World, Novotny, 30, said she would not focus the campaign on her gender identity, while Kern said she would avoid the issue.
“Novotny said Kern is pushing her personal agenda instead of focusing on issues that are important to House District 84, and because of that, the state and Kern's Oklahoma City district have suffered,” reports the World.
Kern, a Republican, and Novotny, a Democrat, may debate each other once this fall during an annual community forum.
- Another Event Moves; Gay Hotel Owners Apologize for Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- The Backlash
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Op-ed: Drag Race's Prison-Themed Challenge Raised Uncomfortable Questions
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'