Wolfson: Lingle Veto "Profoundly Disingenuous"
BY Julie Bolcer
July 07 2010 10:05 AM ET
“Even on her own terms, people did vote, and they voted to allow the legislature to do exactly what she vetoed last night,” said Wolfson.
He also blasted Lingle, who opposes marriage equality, for her assertion that civil unions and same-sex marriages are essentially the same.
“Civil unions do bring important protections,” he said. “They do not provide the full measure of protection or perhaps even more important, intangible security, clarity and dignity. If the governor took weeks and weeks and weeks of dragging people thorough a delaying process, I’m sure she learned that.”
Almost immediately after the governor’s announcement, Lambda Legal and the ACLU announced they would activate a lawsuit waiting in the wings since January. As for a legislative remedy, lawmakers previously indicated they would not attempt to override a veto.
Legal and legislative tactics need to be combined with public education for redoubled efforts on all three fronts, said Wolfson.
“There are these three areas: public education, litigation and legislation,” said Wolfson. “I think we need to move forward on all of them. At the heart of it is really having a deeper conversation with the people of Hawaii and others around the country about why marriage matters. To not have that conversation, and to only talk about civil unions, gets us a veto and a disingenuous claim that it’s all the same. If that’s the case, we might as well fight for what we deserve.”
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 27 min 58 sec ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 27 min 58 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 28 min 8 sec ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM