Wolfson: Lingle Veto "Profoundly Disingenuous"
BY Julie Bolcer
July 07 2010 10:05 AM ET
“Even on her own terms, people did vote, and they voted to allow the legislature to do exactly what she vetoed last night,” said Wolfson.
He also blasted Lingle, who opposes marriage equality, for her assertion that civil unions and same-sex marriages are essentially the same.
“Civil unions do bring important protections,” he said. “They do not provide the full measure of protection or perhaps even more important, intangible security, clarity and dignity. If the governor took weeks and weeks and weeks of dragging people thorough a delaying process, I’m sure she learned that.”
Almost immediately after the governor’s announcement, Lambda Legal and the ACLU announced they would activate a lawsuit waiting in the wings since January. As for a legislative remedy, lawmakers previously indicated they would not attempt to override a veto.
Legal and legislative tactics need to be combined with public education for redoubled efforts on all three fronts, said Wolfson.
“There are these three areas: public education, litigation and legislation,” said Wolfson. “I think we need to move forward on all of them. At the heart of it is really having a deeper conversation with the people of Hawaii and others around the country about why marriage matters. To not have that conversation, and to only talk about civil unions, gets us a veto and a disingenuous claim that it’s all the same. If that’s the case, we might as well fight for what we deserve.”
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM