Bush Aide Mehlman: I'm Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 25 2010 5:15 PM ET
Ken Mehlman, President Bush's 2004 campaign manager and the former
National Committee chairman, has come out in an interview
with The Atlantic.
Blogger Mike Rogers, who has outed gay politicians who have taken antigay stands, announced Wednesday that Marc Ambinder would interview Mehlman, who was in the forefront of George W. Bush's 2004 reelection campaign, which was accompanied by a spate of state ballot initiatives to constitutionally ban marriage equality.
"It's taken me 43 years to get comfortable with this part of my life," Mehlman told Ambinder. "Everybody has their own path to travel, their own journey, and for me, over the past few months, I've told my family, friends, former colleagues, and current colleagues, and they've been wonderful and supportive. The process has been something that's made me a happier and better person. It's something I wish I had done years ago."
Several Republicans and other Bush aides have denied Mehlman is gay, as has Mehlman himself. He once told the New York Daily News, "I'm not gay, but those stories did a number on my dating life for six months."
Mehlman said he wanted to come out publicly because "he wants to become an advocate for gay marriage." He said he anticipated questions would be asked about his participation in a late-September fund-raiser for the American Foundation for Equal Rights, the group that supported the legal challenge to California's ballot initiative against marriage equality, Proposition 8. Mehlman is cochairing the event with Republican donors Peter Thiel and Paul Singer.
Mehlman served as White House political director in the Bush administration and, with the help of Bush aide Karl Rove, managed Bush's reelection campaign. The American Association of Political Consultants named him the Campaign Manager of the Year in 2005.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM