Gay Republicans Dismiss D.C. Rankings
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 28 2010 9:45 AM ET
Two gay Republican challengers for the D.C. council have dismissed the candidate rankings of a local political group as a “high school popularity contest” after receiving lower scores than the Democratic incumbents.
According to The Washington Post, candidates Marc Morgan in Ward 1 and Tim Day in Ward 5 have protested the rankings from the nonpartisan Gay and Lesbian Activists Alliance, which rates candidates based on their records and questionnaire responses.
“Morgan sent out a statement today accusing GLAA of engaging in a ‘high school popularity contest,’” reported the Post on Thursday.
Morgan received a score of 3 in his race compared to gay incumbent Jim Graham, who received a perfect 10. In Ward 5, Day received a 1.5 score, while incumbent Harry Thomas Jr. received a 6.
GLAA defended its rankings, saying that the candidates with lower scores had minimal records and seemed to expect they would get points just for being gay.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM