Gay Bishop: Religion Is Killing Teens
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 18 2010 6:40 PM ET
Gene Robinson, the gay bishop of the New Hampshire diocese in the Episcopal Church, writes on The Huffington Post that antigay religious leaders are responsible for bullied gay teens taking their lives.
Robinson says that antigay speech — like that heard from Mormon leader Boyd Packer — convince young gay people that they are worthless, and contribute to some taking their lives.
"Just as many gay kids grow up in these conservative denominations as any other," Robinson writes. "They are told day in and day out that they are an abomination before God. Just consider the sheer numbers of LGBT kids growing up right now in Roman Catholic, Mormon, and other conservative religious households. The pain and self-loathing caused by such a distortion of God's will is undeniable and tragic, causing scars and indescribable self-alienation in these young victims."
The bishop says even gay children not reared in religious households absorb messages of hate and damnation from homophobic religious leaders.
Click here for the full article.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 5 min 30 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 9 min 53 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 40 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 44 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 6 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 9 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM