Meet Kye Allums, Transgender NCAA Basketball Player
BY Julie Bolcer
November 02 2010 8:30 AM ET
Kye Allums, a junior guard for the women’s basketball team at George Washington University, is the first publicly transgender person to play NCAA Division I college basketball.
OutSports’ Cyd Zeigler tells the story of Allums, who changed his name from Kay-Kay earlier this year. A Minnesota native, he will make a very significant homecoming this month.
“On Nov. 13, Kye Allums will introduce himself to the NCAA basketball world at the Best Buy Classic in Minneapolis in a game against the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay,” reports Ziegler. “When he steps foot on the court, Allums will be the first publicly transgender person to play NCAA Div. 1 college basketball.”
Read Kye’s story here.
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening 1 hour 41 min ago
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! 4:49 PM
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 4:19 PM
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 3:52 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 3:49 PM