Meet Kye Allums, Transgender NCAA Basketball Player
BY Julie Bolcer
November 02 2010 9:30 AM ET
Kye Allums, a junior guard for the women’s basketball team at George Washington University, is the first publicly transgender person to play NCAA Division I college basketball.
OutSports’ Cyd Zeigler tells the story of Allums, who changed his name from Kay-Kay earlier this year. A Minnesota native, he will make a very significant homecoming this month.
“On Nov. 13, Kye Allums will introduce himself to the NCAA basketball world at the Best Buy Classic in Minneapolis in a game against the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay,” reports Ziegler. “When he steps foot on the court, Allums will be the first publicly transgender person to play NCAA Div. 1 college basketball.”
Read Kye’s story here.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People