Meet Kye Allums, Transgender NCAA Basketball Player
BY Julie Bolcer
November 02 2010 9:30 AM ET
Kye Allums, a junior guard for the women’s basketball team at George Washington University, is the first publicly transgender person to play NCAA Division I college basketball.
OutSports’ Cyd Zeigler tells the story of Allums, who changed his name from Kay-Kay earlier this year. A Minnesota native, he will make a very significant homecoming this month.
“On Nov. 13, Kye Allums will introduce himself to the NCAA basketball world at the Best Buy Classic in Minneapolis in a game against the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay,” reports Ziegler. “When he steps foot on the court, Allums will be the first publicly transgender person to play NCAA Div. 1 college basketball.”
Read Kye’s story here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM