Meet Kye Allums, Transgender NCAA Basketball Player
BY Julie Bolcer
November 02 2010 9:30 AM ET
Kye Allums, a junior guard for the women’s basketball team at George Washington University, is the first publicly transgender person to play NCAA Division I college basketball.
OutSports’ Cyd Zeigler tells the story of Allums, who changed his name from Kay-Kay earlier this year. A Minnesota native, he will make a very significant homecoming this month.
“On Nov. 13, Kye Allums will introduce himself to the NCAA basketball world at the Best Buy Classic in Minneapolis in a game against the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay,” reports Ziegler. “When he steps foot on the court, Allums will be the first publicly transgender person to play NCAA Div. 1 college basketball.”
Read Kye’s story here.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun