Kamala Harris Regains Lead
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2010 8:20 PM ET
The race for California attorney general remains up in the air — and with it, possibly the fate of Proposition 8 — but Democrat Kamala Harris has momentarily regained her lead over Republican Steve Cooley.
As of Saturday morning, Harris was up by 14,043 votes, two tenths of 1% of the over 8 million votes cast in this race. For most of the past week, Cooley has held a lead over Harris, the district attorney of San Francisco. Cooley, Los Angeles County's district attorney, has vowed to defend Prop. 8 in a federal appeals court; oral arguments start on December 6. Harris has promised to not defend the proposition, which banned same-sex marriage in the state, since it was declared unconstitutional by a federal judge.
L.A. Weekly reports that 150,000 Los Angeles County ballots remain to be counted; Harris did surprisingly well in the state's most populous county even though she had little name recognition outside of the Bay Area. The Weekly also reports that Harris's campaign is accusing Cooley's campaign of intimidating ballot counters as a way to disqualify potential votes for Harris.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 15 min 12 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 1 hour 14 min ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 22 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 37 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 51 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 58 min ago