Sen. Manchin: Sorry for DADT Vote
BY Michelle Garcia
December 11 2010 1:35 PM ET
Sen. Joe Manchin, the only Democratic senator to vote against "don't
ask, don't tell" repeal, apologized for his vote and said this was not an issue
of whether he agrees with the law but "an issue of timing."
Manchin said in a statement Friday that the repeal of the law barring gay and lesbian troops from openly serving in the military would be too difficult to implement with the current status of combat.
"While I believe the 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' policy will be repealed someday, and probably should be repealed in the near future, I do not support its repeal at this time," the senator from West Virginia said. "I truly understand that my position will anger those who believe repeal should happen now and for that I sincerely apologize. While I am very sympathetic to those who passionately support the repeal, as a Senator of just three weeks, I have not had the opportunity to visit and hear the full range of viewpoints from the citizens of West Virginia."
Manchin also said President Barack Obama should issue an executive order to stop enforcing the law.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 35 min 36 sec ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 2 hours 29 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail June 19 2013 6:20 PM