Women's Soccer Coach, Players Speak Out
BY Julie Bolcer
December 20 2010 9:45 AM ET
Lisa Howe, the former women's soccer coach at Belmont University, and
some members of her team discuss her departure from the Tennessee school
upon revealing last month that she is a lesbian.
Team members, many of whom expressed shock and anger, said they assumed Howe was a lesbian, but she only confirmed it in November. She told the players that she and her partner Wendy were expecting a baby.
"We've all been joking for the past four years that we wanted a team baby," said one player. "So now we finally get one ... "
Controversy surrounded the terms of Howe’s departure from the private Christian school in Nashville. In the interview with ESPN’s Outside the Lines, the coach declined to discuss specifics, citing a confidentiality agreement and calling the move a “mutual agreement to part ways.”
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM