Women's Soccer Coach, Players Speak Out
BY Julie Bolcer
December 20 2010 10:45 AM ET
Lisa Howe, the former women's soccer coach at Belmont University, and
some members of her team discuss her departure from the Tennessee school
upon revealing last month that she is a lesbian.
Team members, many of whom expressed shock and anger, said they assumed Howe was a lesbian, but she only confirmed it in November. She told the players that she and her partner Wendy were expecting a baby.
"We've all been joking for the past four years that we wanted a team baby," said one player. "So now we finally get one ... "
Controversy surrounded the terms of Howe’s departure from the private Christian school in Nashville. In the interview with ESPN’s Outside the Lines, the coach declined to discuss specifics, citing a confidentiality agreement and calling the move a “mutual agreement to part ways.”
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 52 min 12 sec ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 1 hour 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM