Uganda Opposition Leader Would Decriminalize Homosexuality
BY Julie Bolcer
January 11 2011 10:15 AM ET
Kizza Besigye, the top opposition leader in Uganda who is challenging President Yoweri Museveni, suggested he would decriminalize homosexuality if elected.
According to IC Publications, Besigye said Monday that police in Uganda have more pressing concerns than investigating homosexuality, though he stressed the he was speaking for himself and not the four-party opposition group he leads. His remarks were filmed for a town hall dialogue that will air on Ugandan television as the county prepares for a vote on February 18.
"This is something that is done in the privacy of people's rooms, between consenting adults," he said.
This month, the Uganda high court ruled that media cannot out gay activists, citing their right to privacy. Rolling Stone newspaper, which lost the case, has vowed to appeal the ruling.
However, parliament member David Bahati has vowed to move forward with his reprehensible bill that would expand the list of crimes punishable by death related to homosexuality. President Museveni has urged Bahati to be cautious with the bill given the international outrage it generated, reports IC Publications.
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 1 hour 4 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 2 hours 57 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail June 19 2013 6:20 PM