7-Year-old Marriage Equality Advocate
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2011 7:20 PM ET
In an effort to teach a 7-year-old boy named Malcolm the importance of improving the world around him, he was given $140 to donate to the charity of his choice.
After hearing a story on the radio about the mistreatment of gays and lesbians, he selected two charities — the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
In a letter to the center, Malcolm wrote, “I am sending you this money because I don’t think it’s fair that Gay people are not treated equally.”
The donation also included a note from Malcolm’s mother, who challenged the center to raise $27,000 in her son’s name. Center officials have launched a campaign to do just that, and they plan to send confirmation that the goal has been reached along with a “big thank you note.”
Click here for more information on donating.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 22 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 42 min 53 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 45 min 47 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 58 min 29 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 1 hour 22 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 18 min ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 1 hour 20 min ago