Indiana GOP to Ban Marriage?
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2011 10:45 AM ET
An Indiana house committee Monday approved a constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality by a vote of 8-4, advancing it to a vote by the full house.
According to the Associated Press, “An amendment banning gay marriage passed the General Assembly in 2005 when Republicans controlled the House and Senate, but constitutional amendments must go through two separate Legislatures before being put to a public vote. In 2006, Democrats won control of the House and the proposal never cleared that chamber.”
Now Republicans control both chambers again. If the proposal were to pass the legislature this year, it would also need to pass again in 2013 or 2014 before appearing on the ballot, reports the AP. Monday's committee vote came along party lines, Republicans in favor, Democrats against, but some Democrats do support the measure. Marriage “is a foundational, fundamental issue,” said Rep. Dave Cheatham, a Democrat who is one of the amendment's sponsors.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Politics | Advocate.com
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM