AFA's Lawyer: DOMA Is Unconstitutional
BY Michelle Garcia
March 01 2011 4:35 PM ET
The American Family Association's in-house attorney says that while he and many members of his organization believe that marriage should be reserved only for heterosexual adults, the Defense of Marriage Act is "probably unconstitutional."
Pat Vaughn appeared on the Tuesday edition of the AFA Report to talk about President Barack Obama's recent directive to the Department of Justice to stop defending the 15-year-old law barring federal recognition of state-sanctioned marriages or civil unions for same-sex couples.
Cohost Ed Vitagliano asked Vaughn whether former House speaker Newt Gingrich is right to say Obama's actions were an "impeachable offense." Vaughn replied, "I think that Newt Gingrich is an astute politician and he is playing this for all it's worth. I think that marriage is defined by God as between a man and a woman. However, the Defense of Marriage Act is probably unconstitutional, particularly ... if you attempt to apply it so that to say that a marriage conducted in one state is not in effect in another. That clearly violates the Constitution."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 44 min 35 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 49 min 2 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 4 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 53 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM