AFA's Lawyer: DOMA Is Unconstitutional
BY Michelle Garcia
March 01 2011 4:35 PM ET
The American Family Association's in-house attorney says that while he and many members of his organization believe that marriage should be reserved only for heterosexual adults, the Defense of Marriage Act is "probably unconstitutional."
Pat Vaughn appeared on the Tuesday edition of the AFA Report to talk about President Barack Obama's recent directive to the Department of Justice to stop defending the 15-year-old law barring federal recognition of state-sanctioned marriages or civil unions for same-sex couples.
Cohost Ed Vitagliano asked Vaughn whether former House speaker Newt Gingrich is right to say Obama's actions were an "impeachable offense." Vaughn replied, "I think that Newt Gingrich is an astute politician and he is playing this for all it's worth. I think that marriage is defined by God as between a man and a woman. However, the Defense of Marriage Act is probably unconstitutional, particularly ... if you attempt to apply it so that to say that a marriage conducted in one state is not in effect in another. That clearly violates the Constitution."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- 3 Big Differences: Boy Scouts Versus Girl Scouts
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 46 min 59 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 12 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 46 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM