Church Founder Slams Antigay Covenant
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 17 2011 8:50 AM ET
Crystal Cathedral founder Robert H. Schuller says that the antigay covenant choir members were asked to sign contradicts his group’s principles of “tolerance, acceptance and positive thinking.”
The Orange County Register reports that Schuller contacted the newspaper Wednesday to say that he was unaware of the covenant and would never have personally approved it.
"I have a reputation worldwide of being tolerant of all people and their views," said Schuller. "I'm too well-educated to criticize a certain religion or group of people for what they believe in. It's called freedom."
Although Schuller said he supports the view of homosexuality detailed in the document, he said he opposes the idea of making people sign a covenant.
The document, which offended some choir members, expresses a commitment to the “biblical view” of sexual intimacy and marriage. A church spokesperson denied that gay people would be unwelcome in the choir.
Schuller’s daughter, Carol Schuller Milner, responded to the comments by suggesting that her father’s voice and that of the organization are “no longer seamless” now that he is less involved in management. The church has been wracked with financial problems in recent years, including a filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in October.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Television First Look: OITNB Season 2 34 min 14 sec ago
- Transgender 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature 1 hour 4 min ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time 1 hour 7 min ago
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 1 hour 13 min ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 1 hour 32 min ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 1 hour 36 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 1 hour 36 min ago