Death Threats for Album
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 22 2011 9:55 AM ET
Rapper Lil B said he is receiving death threats because of his decision to title his next album I’m Gay.
MTV News reports on the death threats that fans have sent using social media. The rapper announced the new album name from the stage at the Coachella festival in California earlier this month.
"People been hitting me up like, 'I'm gonna bash your head in,' 'you f----t,' 'I'm gonna kill you,'" said the rapper.
Lil B said he is heterosexual but “gay” in the sense of happy. He insists that the album name is not a gimmick, a point raised by officials with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, who said they hoped his album represented “a sincere attempt to be an ally.”
The rapper said, "I got major love for the gay and lesbian community, and I just want to push less separation and that's why I'm doing it. I hope GLAAD sees that I'm taking initial steps to break barriers."
Although Lil B said some fans have turned against him because of the album name, he remains undeterred. A release is planned for iTunes in the next month or so.
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality