GOProud Leader Discusses Gay Conservatives
BY Julie Bolcer
May 13 2011 5:40 PM ET
GOProud executive director Jimmy LaSalvia agrees with Andrew Breitbart that it is challenging to be a gay conservative, where he finds the "vast majority" of criticism comes from the more liberal segment of the gay community.
Breitbart, a GOProud advisory board member married to a woman, appeared on WNYC on Wednesday and discussed the gay conservative vote with host Brian Lehrer. On Thursday, LaSalvia followed up the conversation and responded to comments from Breitbart about topics including gay opposition to marriage equality and the challenges of being a gay conservative.
“I think what Andrew said was, ‘Imagine being a conservative in the gay community,’ and that’s really where we experience the most intolerance, is... the gay left is, by far the most intolerant toward us,” said LaSalvia. “Are there some on the right that don’t like gay people? Sure, but the vast majority of our critics come from the left, are on the left.”
Breitbart also discussed the significance of the gay vote, which LaSalvia supported with exit poll data. According to statistics he cited, some 28% of gay voters supported John McCain for president in 2008, and 31% supported Republican candidates in the midterm elections.
Asked whether some gay people oppose marriage equality, LaSalvia, said, ““I think there are some, yeah.”
Listen to the interview here.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 1 hour 4 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 2 hours 5 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM