Priest Blames Gay Activists for Funeral Controversy
BY Winston Gieseke
June 30 2011 5:40 PM ET
A San Diego priest has reportedly accused gay activists of setting up a recent controversy involving a local gay parishioner’s funeral at his church.
Earlier this week, it was reported that Our Lady of the Rosary Church had initially declined to host the funeral services for longtime member John Sanfilippo because he was gay. By the time the church gave its consent, funeral arrangements had been made elsewhere.
On Wednesday, San Diego–based religious website California Catholic Daily posted a story that quoted a parishioner as saying that in a recent mass at Our Lady of the Rosary, Father Louis Solcia claimed the controversy was a “setup” by gay activists.
This occurred the same day the diocese of San Diego blamed the funeral’s initial cancellation on “a visiting priest” who they say “was not familiar with local practice.”
According to San Diego's Channel 10 News, local gay activists were unclear about these “local practices.”
Read the full story here.
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 1 hour 54 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM