Trial to Begin in Lawrence King Murder
BY Julie Bolcer
July 05 2011 8:25 AM ET
Brandon McInerney, 17, will go on trial this week for the 2008 shooting death of Lawrence King, a younger classmate in California who the defendant believed had a crush on him.
According to the Los Angeles Times, “Prosecutor Maeve Fox says she will outline a straightforward case in opening arguments set to begin Tuesday in a Chatsworth courtroom. The Oxnard teenager carefully planned and carried out the Feb. 12, 2008, execution of his eighth-grade classmate, she said. He brought a gun to school, positioned himself directly behind King during a morning computer class and fired twice into the back of the 15-year-old's head.”
McInerney, who was 14 at the time of the murder, will be tried as an adult for the crime that occurred in front of other students and a teacher. The charges include a hate-crime allegation based on his reported neo-Nazi sympathies. He faces 53 years to life if convicted.
The Times reports that lawyers for McInerney will argue that the killing was voluntary manslaughter because their client was humiliated by King’s sexual advances. A voluntary manslaughter conviction would prevent a life sentence.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- FEMEN protesters in France have been a recurring...
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 43 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 11 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 14 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 1 hour 58 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 5 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM