Gender Neutrality: Could Facebook Be Next?
BY Michelle Garcia
August 01 2011 2:30 PM ET
Now that Google+ has the option for users to remain gender-neutral, an activist organization is urging Facebook, the world's second most popular website to go the same route.
AllOut has a petition encouraging Facebook to accommodate transgender people and multiple gender identities. AllOut.org/Facebook features the stories of several gender
non-conforming people like Mikaela (pictured) who are also urging the
social networking giant to change the provided gender identity options. Andre Banks of AllOut said in a statement Thursday that the change would not be a difficult one for Facebook's administrators to make.
"The right to an online identity is something that most of us have come to take for granted, yet there are millions of people in every part of the world who are denied the right to be themselves simply because they don't fit into the 'male' or 'female' checkboxes," Banks said.
The petition signatures accompany a letter to Randi Zuckerberg, the company's director of social good, to recognize those who do not identify as male or female among the site's 750 million users.
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 1 hour 50 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 2 hours 15 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 2 hours 30 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 34 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 2 hours 39 min ago