Indonesian Lesbian Couple Forcibly Separated
BY Trudy Ring
August 26 2011 3:55 PM ET
In the Indonesian province of Aceh, authorities have forced a lesbian couple to have their marriage annulled and sign a separation agreement — but their local police chief told them they really deserve beheading.
The women, whose names were not revealed, were married legally by an Islamic cleric a few months ago, with one of them passing as a man, the BBC reports. Neighbors suspected they were both women, however, and reported them to police in the province, which enforces some aspects of Muslim Sharia law.
The two are now living with their families and under surveillance. The local police chief told them that Islam called for them to be beheaded and burned, but the province has yet to put such penalties into law.
While Indonesia has the world’s largest Muslim population, Aceh is the only province that is allowed to implement Sharia, the religion’s legal code. It has yet to adopt any provisions dealing with homosexuality, which is legal but frowned upon in the nation. Two years ago the provincial parliament passed legislation authorizing the death penalty for adultery and caning for homosexuality, but the governor refused to sign it.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM