Just Married: Cheyenne Jackson Weds Longtime Partner in New York
BY Lucas Grindley
September 03 2011 10:37 PM ET
Cheyenne Jackson married his longtime partner, Monte Lapka, today in New York, taking advantage of the state's new marriage equality law.
"It's official, after 11 years together, Zora's no longer a bastard," Jackson wrote on Twitter, joking about the couple's dog, who was there at the beach in the Hamptons for the event.
"Just married the best man I've ever known," Jackson wrote.
The Broadway star and member of the 30 Rock cast has been thinking about this moment for a long time. He mentioned it back in 2010 after California's Proposition 8 ban was ruled unconstitutional in an early court ruling in that ongoing storyline.
"California dreaming, indeed," he wrote at the time. "Makes me feel prouder than ever to be a strong gay man. Now come on, home state of New York ... We all know that you're the 'concrete jungle where dreams r made of,' so make mine come true and take the necessary steps to allow me to make it legal with my man. Step up, we believe in you."
New Yorkers began marrying in June when the state's new law took effect.
Jackson will continue his activism for marriage equality by taking part in an upcoming reading of 8, Dustin Lance Black's play about the Prop. 8 trial. The one-night-only event happens on September 19.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 6 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 2 hours 3 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 2 hours 6 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM