A Blunt "It Gets Better" from VA Politician
BY Lucas Grindley
September 27 2011 7:00 AM ET
Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., posted one of the most straightforward It Gets Better videos of any politician last week.
"I didn't happen to be born gay," he said, "but I've known an awful lot of bullies throughout my life. It's interesting that they all grew up to be insecure jerks."
Moran said the bullies "only seem to feel good about themselves when they were making other people feel bad about themselves."
He talks about growing up with a "horrible problem of shyness" that left him "red faced" and "sweating all over the place" when called upon in class. Still, Moran pushed himself into public speaking.
His first two speeches didn't go so well.
"I fainted," he said, "fainted right on the stage just drop down. They revived me and I started again. Fainted again, had to carry me out. Second speech. Same thing happened."
That was the bottom, so to speak. And now it's a story he tells often with pride for what he's overcome.
"Somehow I told myself things have got to get better because they can't get any worse," he said. "And they did, eventually."
Moran has served Virginia in Congress since 1991, and before that he was mayor of Alexandria. Watch his video below, followed by a few impassioned examples of the voice for gay rights that would have been lost had Moran not pressed on after those first few failed speeches. The videos are from the normally quiet world of C-SPAN but aren't to be missed.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 7 min 7 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 10 min 53 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 23 min 46 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 57 min 29 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 1 hour 25 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 1 hour 23 min ago