A Touching Tribute to Jamey Rodemeyer and the Many Others
BY Lucas Grindley
September 29 2011 2:39 PM ET
Tributes to Jamey Rodemeyer started being posted online the moment news spread of his death. One person started a Facebook page in memoriam. Photos of people with their "paws up" for Jamey are still being shared on Tumblr. And Lady Gaga devoted her performance at the I Heart Music event to the 14-year-old from Buffalo, who was buried in a "Born This Way" T-shirt.
But what touches so many about the loss of Jamey Rodemeyer, who committed suicide after being subjected to antigay bullying, is that he signifies a larger problem at play, as evidenced by his parents' call on the Today show for better communication about what's still happening in schools.
Among the latest tributes is one by Davey Wavey, a popular YouTube personality, who made the point that Jamey was one among many. Watch the tribute below. The last of the 250 balloons they release into the sky makes for perhaps the most poignant moment.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- LGBT People Are Driving an Upheaval in Video Games
- I'm From Driftwood Presents: 'You're Bisexual? Then Why Not Choose To Be Normal?'
- WATCH: Gay Vlogger Tyler Oakley Talks Education With Michelle Obama