Fatherhood for Congressman Jared Polis
September 30 2011 9:02 PM ET
Congress has its first openly gay dad.
On Friday, Colorado Democrat Rep. Jared Polis and his partner, Marlon Reis, welcomed into the world their newborn son, Caspian Julius, weighing 8 lbs, 12 oz.
"Baby and parents are doing well, baby has learned to cry already! No gifts please, just nice thoughts for Caspian, humankind, the planet, and the universe!" Polis, one of four openly gay House members, and Reis announced in a brief statement.
“With the new addition to his family, Representative Polis now joins the list of one million LGBT parents, both single and coupled, raising two million children in America today,” Family Equality Council Jennifer Chrisler said Friday in congratulating Polis and Reis on the new addition to their family.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida