Fatherhood for Congressman Jared Polis
September 30 2011 9:02 PM ET
Congress has its first openly gay dad.
On Friday, Colorado Democrat Rep. Jared Polis and his partner, Marlon Reis, welcomed into the world their newborn son, Caspian Julius, weighing 8 lbs, 12 oz.
"Baby and parents are doing well, baby has learned to cry already! No gifts please, just nice thoughts for Caspian, humankind, the planet, and the universe!" Polis, one of four openly gay House members, and Reis announced in a brief statement.
“With the new addition to his family, Representative Polis now joins the list of one million LGBT parents, both single and coupled, raising two million children in America today,” Family Equality Council Jennifer Chrisler said Friday in congratulating Polis and Reis on the new addition to their family.
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- The 'Ex-Gay' Candidate for Missouri Governor
- Queer Women in Their 30s Give Advice to Their 20-Something Selves
- Hundreds Attend Satanic Statue Unveiling in Detroit Despite Terrorist Threats