Inconclusive Results of Ex-Gay Study Cause Dispute
BY Michelle Garcia
October 04 2011 2:25 PM ET
Many are disputing the results of a study conducted by two psychologists affiliated with religious universities who claim that people can change their sexual orientation after six or more years of reparative therapy.
Mark Yarhouse of Regent University and Stanton Jones at Wheaton College published a study in the Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, documenting the progress of 98 people who sought to change their sexual orientation at Exodus Ministries, CNN reports. Before the end of the study, 35 people dropped out of the program, citing that they felt cured of all "homosexual inclinations." At the end of the study, 23% of the remaining people said they were heterosexual, and 30% decided to turn to chastity. The study's authors found those figures to be evidence that the study contradicts "the commonly expressed view that sexual orientation is not changeable."
Though the American Psychological Association has condemned such therapies since 2005, other notable psychologists are weighing in on the new study.
Eli Coleman of the University of Minnesota Medical School's human sexuality program told CNN that any change from ex-gay therapy is superficial.
"You can get behavioral changes, but that's not orientation change," he said.
Jack Drescher of New York Medical College said the study could be confusing sexual orientation, which refers to the types of people a person finds attractive, with sexual identity, which refers to a person's feelings and expression on his or her orientation.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM