Minister Leaves Church of Scotland Over Gay Clergy
BY Winston Gieseke
October 04 2011 6:55 PM ET
A minister with the Church of Scotland has resigned because he disagrees with the organization’s stance on gay clergy.
Reverend Peter Dickson of High Church in Hilton first expressed his opposition to gay church leaders in 2009 when openly gay minister Scott Rennie was appointed to Queen’s Cross church in Aberdeen.
Following Rennie’s selection, the church imposed a temporary moratorium on the admission of gay and lesbian ministers, says the BBC, but voted this past May to accept them so long as “they had declared their sexuality and were ordained before May 2009,” a rule that allowed Rennie to retain his position.
In a statement, Reverend Dickson said, "It is with a heavy heart and genuine sorrow that I announce my decision to demit the pastoral charge of High Church, Hilton, on Wednesday 30 November and cease to be a minister of the Church of Scotland. ... I feel this is the only path left open for me which will enable me to continue to teach the scriptures with integrity."
The church said it was “deeply saddened” by Dickson’s decision.
Read the full article here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 1 hour 9 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 5 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 2 hours 39 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 2 hours 39 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 2 hours 39 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM