Budget Puts Chicago LGBT Liaison in Jeopardy
BY Trudy Ring
October 14 2011 8:13 PM ET
The LGBT liaison for Chicago city government stands to be a casualty of budget-cutting under new mayor Rahm Emanuel, Windy City Times reports.
Emanuel’s proposed 2012 budget, unveiled Wednesday, cuts the position and reorganizes the various advisory councils to the Chicago Commission on Human Relations, with the LGBT and several other councils to be housed under two new ones — the Advisory Council on Gender and Sexuality and the Advisory Council on Equity.
Although the City Council has yet to act on the budget, Bill Greaves, who serves as the LGBT liaison and director of the LGBT advisory council, has already been informed he won’t have a job as of January 1, according to an email obtained by the Times. In it he told members of the advisory council that Human Relations commissioner Mona Noriega had given him the news. He promised further discussion at the council meeting next Wednesday.
Beth Kelly, chair of the advisory council, told the paper that Greaves’s proposed departure and the reorganization of councils is an “affront to LGBT communities in Chicago” and a “symbolic erasure.”
Emanuel’s press office had not responded to the paper’s request for comment by deadline, the Times reports. The paper notes that the budget-cutting would affect numerous city departments and is designed to make up a projected $636 million deficit.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 6 min 31 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 3 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM