Study: Older Gays Fear Coming Out
BY Winston Gieseke
November 04 2011 7:55 PM ET
New research from Ireland shows that one-third of older gay people avoid coming out to family and friends out of fear of rejection.
The “Visible Lives” study — the first major survey of gay people over 55 in Ireland — gathered its data from interviews with up to 144 people. Among the most visible findings is that while the majority of older gays have disclosed their sexual orientation to at least one person, many feel they’re unable to live openly in society.
The Irish Times reports that “while most respondents are comfortable with their identity, 28% are not out to any neighbors and 10% are not out to any of their close family members.”
“However, they also show the resilience of many gay people who have overcome adversity and developed accepting relationships with family, friends and colleagues.”
The data also sheds light on the topic of isolation. Approximately 46% of gay elders live alone, compared to the 15% of elders in the general population who live alone.
Catherine Rose, chief executive of Age and Opportunity – the organization that funded the study – noticed a similarity of issues facing straight and gay older people in the country.
“We all need to work together to ensure the issues and needs identified in the report can be addressed and inform the broader agenda of the status and visibility of older people in Irish society,” she said.
Read more results of the study here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 1 hour 28 min ago
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM