Study: Older Gays Fear Coming Out
BY Winston Gieseke
November 04 2011 6:55 PM ET
New research from Ireland shows that one-third of older gay people avoid coming out to family and friends out of fear of rejection.
The “Visible Lives” study — the first major survey of gay people over 55 in Ireland — gathered its data from interviews with up to 144 people. Among the most visible findings is that while the majority of older gays have disclosed their sexual orientation to at least one person, many feel they’re unable to live openly in society.
The Irish Times reports that “while most respondents are comfortable with their identity, 28% are not out to any neighbors and 10% are not out to any of their close family members.”
“However, they also show the resilience of many gay people who have overcome adversity and developed accepting relationships with family, friends and colleagues.”
The data also sheds light on the topic of isolation. Approximately 46% of gay elders live alone, compared to the 15% of elders in the general population who live alone.
Catherine Rose, chief executive of Age and Opportunity – the organization that funded the study – noticed a similarity of issues facing straight and gay older people in the country.
“We all need to work together to ensure the issues and needs identified in the report can be addressed and inform the broader agenda of the status and visibility of older people in Irish society,” she said.
Read more results of the study here.
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 7 min 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 26 min 40 sec ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 56 min 47 sec ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 1 hour 2 min ago
- Transgender How the Pacific Justice Institute Plans to Keep Demonizing Trans Kids 1 hour 13 min ago
- World News Russia's High Court: 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Is Constitutional 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News GBF's Michael J Willett Stripped Down to Cover of Natasha Bedingfield 1 hour 25 min ago