Can a Stroke Turn You Gay? Rugby Player Says It Did
BY Neal Broverman
November 08 2011 7:15 PM ET
After breaking his neck attempting a backflip and then suffering a stroke, Welshman Chris Birch went from a sports-loving heterosexual to an out and proud homosexual, or so he says.
Birch made headlines last month in the United Kingdom when he told The Mirror about his accident and subsequent reversal of orientation.
"It sounds strange, but when I came round I immediately felt different," the 26-year-old told the paper. "I wasn't interested in women any more. I was
definitely gay. I had never been attracted to a man before — I'd never
even had any gay friends."
Birch then became more obsessed with his appearance, which he believes is a gay trait. He also started training to be a hairdresser. CBS News asked Britain's Stroke Association if the organization was familiar with someone "becoming gay" after a stroke — not really, officials with the group responded, but they did say people often reassess their lives after such an ordeal. Read more here.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 9 min 25 sec ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 1 hour 8 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 1 hour 18 min ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 2 hours 28 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2:27 PM
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2:11 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1:56 PM