Antigay Survey a Fumble for Prep Football Coach
BY Trudy Ring
November 11 2011 3:25 PM ET
A high school football coach in Wyoming has resigned after giving his players a joke survey filled with homophobic and sexist language.
The Johnson County school board (pictured) in Buffalo this week accepted the resignation of head coach Pat Lynch, who had distributed the questionnaire, titled “Hurt Feelings Report,” before a playoff game last month, the Casper Star-Tribune reports. Lynch, however, will retain his guidance counselor position at Buffalo High School under administrative supervision.
The survey, under a list of reasons for hurt feelings, includes such choices as “I am a queer,” “I am a pussy,” “I am a little bitch,” and “I have woman like hormones.” It asks for the name of the “little sissy filing report” and his “girly-man signature,” plus the “real-man signature” of the person accused of causing hurt feelings.
Lynch “screwed up big time,” said district superintendent Rod Kessler. The incident, he added, is “a black eye to the district” and “a black eye to Pat.”
Still, Kessler and the board were supportive of Lynch remaining a counselor, a decision that has led to “some public outcry,” according to the Star-Tribune. “We’re going to work with Pat and have him continue doing the good things he was doing prior to this mistake,” Kessler said. “Our hope is that we can mend things we need to mend and gain back the trust and get the reputation that he needs to gain back as a professional.”
Lynch, who had coached his team to state championships in 2004 and 2005, submitted a letter of apology that was read at the board meeting, saying in part, “I know that this situation has caused you pain and discomfort, and for that I am truly sorry.” However, Wayne Jensen, who has a son on the football team, said Lynch should have apologized directly to the players.
“Everybody should be accountable for their actions,” Jensen told the Star-Tribune. “He came out with a letter and apologized to the school board. Well, I never heard one mention of the kids.”
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 32 min 41 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 11 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 28 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 46 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 48 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM