Antigay Survey a Fumble for Prep Football Coach
BY Trudy Ring
November 11 2011 3:25 PM ET
A high school football coach in Wyoming has resigned after giving his players a joke survey filled with homophobic and sexist language.
The Johnson County school board (pictured) in Buffalo this week accepted the resignation of head coach Pat Lynch, who had distributed the questionnaire, titled “Hurt Feelings Report,” before a playoff game last month, the Casper Star-Tribune reports. Lynch, however, will retain his guidance counselor position at Buffalo High School under administrative supervision.
The survey, under a list of reasons for hurt feelings, includes such choices as “I am a queer,” “I am a pussy,” “I am a little bitch,” and “I have woman like hormones.” It asks for the name of the “little sissy filing report” and his “girly-man signature,” plus the “real-man signature” of the person accused of causing hurt feelings.
Lynch “screwed up big time,” said district superintendent Rod Kessler. The incident, he added, is “a black eye to the district” and “a black eye to Pat.”
Still, Kessler and the board were supportive of Lynch remaining a counselor, a decision that has led to “some public outcry,” according to the Star-Tribune. “We’re going to work with Pat and have him continue doing the good things he was doing prior to this mistake,” Kessler said. “Our hope is that we can mend things we need to mend and gain back the trust and get the reputation that he needs to gain back as a professional.”
Lynch, who had coached his team to state championships in 2004 and 2005, submitted a letter of apology that was read at the board meeting, saying in part, “I know that this situation has caused you pain and discomfort, and for that I am truly sorry.” However, Wayne Jensen, who has a son on the football team, said Lynch should have apologized directly to the players.
“Everybody should be accountable for their actions,” Jensen told the Star-Tribune. “He came out with a letter and apologized to the school board. Well, I never heard one mention of the kids.”
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 1 hour 14 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM