French Mayor Defies Law, Marries Gay Couple
BY Trudy Ring
November 12 2011 12:07 PM ET
The mayor of the small French town of Cabestany officiated at the marriage of two men Saturday, in defiance of national law, which allows only civil unions, not marriage, for gay couples.
Mayor Jean Vila said performing the wedding for the men, identified only as Patrick and Guillaume, was a “militant act,” Reuters reports.
“To outlaw homosexual marriage is to deny the reality of thousands of homosexual couples,” he said after the ceremony, held in the Cabestany City Hall. “This decision to join these two people for me is an act of anger and revolt in the face of the authorities’ refusal to legitimize such unions.” He did not enter the marriage in the official registry, however, to avoid the possibility of annulment.
Reuters notes, “France’s constitutional authority in January upheld the country’s ban on gay weddings and in June parliament rejected an opposition Socialist Party bill attempting to legalize them.”
Claude Greff, President Nicolas Sarkozy’s junior cabinet minister for family, called the wedding a “provocation on the eve of the presidential election.” Sarkozy is up for reelection next year, but Socialist challenger Francois Hollande leads him in polls.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM