Texas: Parents Rally for Teacher Fired for Being a Lesbian
BY Michelle Garcia
November 16 2011 3:13 PM ET
A high school history teacher and basketball coach was fired last month for what administrators say were "performance issues," but parents at the Life School in Waxahachie, Texas, think it's because the teacher is a lesbian.
Nikki Williams, 26, was replaced by a football coach who resigned in September after a grievance was filed against him. Williams's mother told KDAF News that Life School administrators referred only to the school's code of ethics and standards of excellence as the reason behind
Williams's ousting. Administrators have said they will not expunge her
firing from her work records.
Dozens of parents are now circulating a petition asking to bring Williams back to school. She was fired October 18.
"I think that her being gay has nothing to do with her coaching skills," parent Tiniqua Smith told KDAF. "She has not tried to push this off on the kids, and I don't feel like that should be a problem."
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 41 min 8 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 41 min 37 sec ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 41 min 51 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM