NPR on Homeless LGBT Youth
November 21 2011 7:40 PM ET
A staggering number of LGBT youths face homelessness in an era of limited spending and fewer resources to combat the problem, National Public Radio reported in a Sunday Weekend Edition segment.
NPR's Margot Adler:
"Depending on the study, somewhere between 30 and 40 percent of homeless youths identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. It's largely because gay youths are more often kicked out of their homes than straight youths. And even if they are not kicked out, they may feel so uncomfortable that they leave. "
One LGBT youth advocate said of New York governor Andrew Cuomo, who displayed aggressive focus this year on marriage equality yet was willing to compromise with the legislature to cut state spending on services for the homeless, "It's tearing my heart in two. Here you have a political leader who is
doing so much to help the adults of our community and is taking actions
that harm and imperil the most vulnerable youth of our community. What
do we do? What is our response to that?"
Listen to Adler’s report and read the accompanying article here.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Today's Tearjerker Featuring Binational Couple With 'Missing Husband'
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Op-ed: To You There, in the Closet
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM