Minn. Gays Take Responsibility for Right-Winger’s Affair
BY Trudy Ring
December 22 2011 8:59 PM ET
With right-wing forces accusing gays of undermining marriage by seeking access to the institution, a Minnesota resident has “apologized” on behalf of gay people for causing an antigay state senator to have an extramarital affair.
Senate majority leader Amy Koch (pictured), a Republican, admitted this week to having had an “inappropriate relationship” with a Senate staff member, according to Twin Cities alternative weekly City Pages. Koch has backed the effort to amend the state’s constitution to ban same-sex marriage; the amendment, having been approved by the legislature, will go before voters in November.
An open letter from John Medeiros of Minneapolis apologizes to Koch “on behalf of all gays and lesbians living in Minnesota ... for our community’s successful efforts to threaten your traditional marriage. We are ashamed of ourselves for causing you to have what the media refers to as an ‘illicit affair’ with your staffer, and we also extend our deepest apologies to him and to his wife. These recent events have made it quite clear that our gay and lesbian tactics have gone too far, affecting even the most respectful of our society.”
Medeiros also writes, “If we were not so self-focused and myopic, we would have been able to see that the time you wasted diligently writing legislation that would forever seal the definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman, could have been more usefully spent reshaping the legal definition of ‘adultery.’” Read the City Pages coverage, including the full letter, here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 12 min 31 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 55 min 55 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 1 hour 8 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 hour 22 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 1 hour 22 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 1 hour 23 min ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational Couples Stranded 1 hour 34 min ago