Full-Page Ad Calls for Cardinal's Resignation
BY Trudy Ring
December 29 2011 5:30 PM ET
The LGBT rights group Truth Wins Out is taking out a full-page ad in Sunday’s Chicago Tribune calling on the city’s Catholic archbishop, Cardinal Francis George, to resign because of his comments comparing a gay pride parade to a Ku Klux Klan march.
The ad is headlined, “Hey, Cardinal Francis George, Gay is not like the KKK,” and it calls his remarks “offensive” and “unconscionable.” George made the comparison in an interview last week with a Chicago TV station regarding a controversy over the schedule for next year’s parade, which would have gone by a Catholic church during Sunday services. The parade’s start time was then moved from 10 a.m. to noon so as not to inconvenience worshippers, and George made conciliatory comments but then reiterated the comparison in an official statement on the archdiocesan website this week.
“This is not a legitimate fight over religious liberty as George wrongly implies, but a vivid example of religious bigotry fueled by a mean-spirited analogy that linked innocent, law-abiding families with the KKK,” said Truth Wins Out executive director Wayne Besen in a press release. “We will stand up against such lies and speak out when LGBT people are unfairly maligned.”
Truth Wins Out has also gathered more than 4,000 signatures on its Change.org petition calling for George’s resignation.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 8 min 40 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 19 min 23 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 24 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 40 min ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 43 min 46 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 56 min 39 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 1 hour 30 min ago