Tennessee Lawmaker: Gays Not "Mentally Healthy Adult Human Beings"
BY Nick Visser
January 25 2012 1:27 PM ET
Just one day after Phillip Parker, a gay teen in Tennessee, committed suicide, a state lawmaker told one of his constituents that gay individuals are not “mentally healthy adult human beings.”
Kristin M. Johnson, a lesbian student at Middle Tennessee State University, wrote to Rep. John Ragan asking him to oppose a “license to bully” bill that would protect those who bully based on religious or moral grounds, reports the New Civil Rights Movement.
“The threat to gay or lesbian children (yes, they do exist) or even to children rumored to be gay is quite overt,” Johnson wrote. “There is no mistaking that the purpose and language of this bill are to justify and defend anti-gay bullying, which has already caused too much pain and driven too many children to take their own lives.”
Ragan responded in a long email in which he compared homosexuality to murder, rape, overeating, and prostitution.
“Logically, homosexuality is defined by behavior, i.e., unless one engages in sexual activity with a member of the same sex, he, or she, is not a homosexual. (The term sexual orientation is a description of feelings.),” he wrote. “Feelings do not control the behavior of a mentally healthy adult human being.”
Read the full correspondence here.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Memories of JFK From His Gay Best Friend
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM