GLAAD to CNN: Fire Roland Martin for Antigay Comments
BY Trudy Ring
February 06 2012 12:10 AM ET
CNN commentator Roland Martin made it a not-so-super Sunday with a tweet and a Facebook posting widely perceived to be homophobic, and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has called on the network to fire him.
GLAAD reports that after retailer H&M’s Super Bowl commercial featuring soccer player David Beckham, Martin tweeted to his nearly 95,000 Twitter followers, “If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him! #superbowl.”
In response, GLAAD wrote, “@rolandsmartin Advocates of gay bashing have no place at @CNN #SuperBowl #LGBT.” Martin replied that GLAAD was “way off base” and suggested that his tweet was a joke about soccer fans, not gays.
Earlier in the day, he had posted on his Facebook fan page, “Who the hell was that New England Patriot they just showed in a head to toe pink suit? Oh, he needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass.”
GLAAD reports that Martin has a history of antigay statements, noting that he defended comedian Tracy Morgan’s homophobic stand-up performance (for which Morgan has apologized) and boasts on his website that his wife “has counseled many men and women to walk away from the gay lifestyle.”
In a message on its website, GLAAD concludes, “Martin’s tweets today advocating violence against gay people weren’t an accident — they are a part of a larger pattern for Martin. Anti-gay violence in America is a serious problem facing millions of Americans. It’s no joke. CNN should fire Roland Martin.” The organization asks supporters to sign a petition to that effect. For more information click here.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 2 hours 25 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM