Student Says She Was Punched in the Face for Prop. 8 Column
BY Lucas Grindley
February 20 2012 9:41 AM ET
A student columnist in Massachusetts says she was confronted in a parking lot and punched in the face for writing about her opposition to Proposition 8.
Destinie Mogg-Barkalow, a student at Bridgewater State University, had penned a column earlier this week that said those opposed to same-sex marriage need to catch up with the times.
"If you believe legalizing gay marriage is unconstitutional, I think it is time you moved to another country," wrote Mogg-Barkalow, who is a lesbian, in The Comment student paper on Wednesday. "When it comes down to it, all I can say is leave us alone. Why are people so concerned about my soul and not their own? If same-sex couples are going to hell, at least I would be in peace and could finally stop worrying about hypocritical judgment."
Then Mogg-Barkalow says she was confronted the next day in parking lot by a tall man and a shorter red-headed woman who asked if she'd written the column, then when she confirmed, the woman punched her in the face.
Police told The Comment they are investigating the attack as a possible hate crime, though the suspects haven't been caught. And students are planning a rally in support of the writer on campus on Tuesday.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 52 min 12 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 51 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 52 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM