Student Discouraged in Effort to Form GSA
BY Josh Hinkle
February 27 2012 5:26 PM ET
A gay student at Wilson Central High School in Wilson, Tenn., filed a request to form a gay-straight alliance at his high school, but one month after filing the request, Bauman has seen no action from his school board.
Student Chris Bauman submitted his request to form the group, along with a list of students willing to join, at the beginning of the spring semester according to The Tennessean. He is now requesting responses from school officials on the lack of approval. "The feeling I had from them today was that they want me to stop and let it fade away," Bauman told The Tennessean after he spoke with his principal last Wednesday.
Bauman faces barriers from more than just his school's principal. Greg Lasater, a Wilson school board member and the school's resource officer, told The Tennessean, "If I had to vote, just from my own Christian values — nothing against these folks — it would be hard for me as a board member to support it."
Federal law does prohibit these kinds of obstructions when forming a club. Under the Equal Access Act of 1984, if a school allows student clubs to form, it must allow all kinds of clubs to be represented.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 35 min 16 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 30 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 46 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 9 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM