U.K.'s Blair, Straw Back Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
March 11 2012 1:30 PM ET
Former U.K. prime minister Tony Blair and former cabinet member Jack Straw are taking on religion-based opposition to marriage equality in their country.
Blair, a convert to Catholicism, “has defied the Pope by making clear he ‘strongly supports’ plans for gay marriage,” London’s Independent reported Sunday. Pope Benedict XVI last week spoke out strongly against marriage equality, and several other Catholic and Church of England leaders have denounced current prime minister David Cameron’s plan to replace civil partnerships, available to U.K. gay couples since 2005, with marriage. Blair, as prime minister, introduced and supported the law that established civil partnerships.
Straw, in a Lancashire Telegraph column published Thursday, questioned how the Catholic and Anglican hierarchy can oppose marriage equality when such opposition conflicts with Christianity’s Golden Rule. “How on earth do these church leaders square their present stand with those biblical injunctions about treating others as you would expect to be treated yourself?” he wrote. He also commented, “I happen to be, in the modern jargon, ‘straight’. It doesn’t make me a better person.”
Meanwhile, a conservative blogger calling himself “Archbishop Cranmer” attracted attention with a satirical post saying Straw was attacking Muslims for opposing marriage equality.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 1 hour 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2 hours 12 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 28 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM