U.K.'s Blair, Straw Back Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
March 11 2012 2:30 PM ET
Former U.K. prime minister Tony Blair and former cabinet member Jack Straw are taking on religion-based opposition to marriage equality in their country.
Blair, a convert to Catholicism, “has defied the Pope by making clear he ‘strongly supports’ plans for gay marriage,” London’s Independent reported Sunday. Pope Benedict XVI last week spoke out strongly against marriage equality, and several other Catholic and Church of England leaders have denounced current prime minister David Cameron’s plan to replace civil partnerships, available to U.K. gay couples since 2005, with marriage. Blair, as prime minister, introduced and supported the law that established civil partnerships.
Straw, in a Lancashire Telegraph column published Thursday, questioned how the Catholic and Anglican hierarchy can oppose marriage equality when such opposition conflicts with Christianity’s Golden Rule. “How on earth do these church leaders square their present stand with those biblical injunctions about treating others as you would expect to be treated yourself?” he wrote. He also commented, “I happen to be, in the modern jargon, ‘straight’. It doesn’t make me a better person.”
Meanwhile, a conservative blogger calling himself “Archbishop Cranmer” attracted attention with a satirical post saying Straw was attacking Muslims for opposing marriage equality.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 2 hours 12 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM