Lesbian Student Told to Stop Being So Out and Proud on Facebook
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2012 4:27 PM ET
A student at Rochester College in Rochester Hills, Mich., was told by administrators she would have to stop promoting her lesbian pride to ensure continued on-campus housing.
Kiah Zabel, a sophomore at the private Christian college, said she recently came out on Facebook and posted a time line cover image that reads, "Out ... Proud ... Lesbian."
Zabel told WJBK News that Dean of Students Brian Cole asked her to remove the photo or be forced to move off-campus. "'Out ... Proud ... Lesbian' is not really consistent with the heritage of Rochester College and has proven to already be disruptive among fellow students who are really bothered by it," he said in a letter to Zabel.
Rochester College's student handbook says that intimate relationships were designed by God, and sex should only occur between a husband and wife.
A statement from a college spokesperson claims that Zabel was never threatened with expulsion; however, Cole's letter, obtained by WJBK News, says she may be removed from campus housing.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM