Pa. House Puts Brakes on Constitutional Marriage Ban
BY Neal Broverman
March 13 2012 2:50 PM ET
A proposed bill to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage in Pennsylvania was blocked and killed by the state's GOP-dominated House of Representatives.
Equality Pennsylvania thanked legislators for putting an end to HB 1434, which it called "mean-spirited and nonsensical."
"In 2012, this is not an issue," read a press release from EP. "It creates no jobs. It comes with hidden costs. It forcefully terminates existing domestic partnership benefits of thousands of municipal and state employees. It takes even the discussion of granting civil unions or domestic partnership benefits off the table. And as polls show, it is out of touch with the point of view of most Pennsylvanians."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM