The NY Times's Nine Questions for Tammy Baldwin
BY Neal Broverman
March 18 2012 2:20 PM ET
The New York Times's Andrew Goldman quizzes Congresswoman and Senate candidate Tammy Baldwin on everything from her mother to gay marriage to President Obama.
Baldwin, a Democratic congresswoman from Wisconsin, is hoping in November to be elected the first openly gay U.S. senator. The Times spoke to Baldwin about whether Wisconsin would elect a lesbian to the Senate.
"This November, people in Wisconsin will be so focused on getting by," Baldwin tells Goldman. "They’ve made serious adjustments to deal with this economy — whether it’s the recession or the decline of the middle class before then."
The Congresswoman also defended President Obama's gay rights record, saying even though he hasn't yet fully endorsed marriage equality, he's contributed much to LGBT rights.
"Look, he is moving in the right direction on this issue," she says. "He’s been crucial in equality efforts like the repeal of 'don’t Ask, don’t Tell' and signing the Matthew Shepard hate crimes prevention act."
Being raised by her grandparents and her mother's drug addiction also come up in the interview. Read it here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM