N.C. Governor Pledges to Fight Marriage Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
March 19 2012 2:23 PM ET
North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue said she believes the proposed ballot initiative to ban same-sex couples from marrying in her state is wrong.
Perdue, who is not seeking re-election this fall, took to Twitter to also congratulate President Barack Obama for publicly opposing Amendment 1.
"It's poorly written and will hurt children and families across [North Carolina]," she wrote on Friday.
At a dinner with 300 Democrats on Saturday, Perdue asked, "Would you ever have thought that North Carolina in 2012 would be focused on something as bad for our economy as the amendment?" According to the Charlotte Observer, she added, "I’ll do everything I can to defeat it."
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: Single Mothers Make Boys Gay, Says Pat Robertson
- The Hidden Message in Supreme Court's Recent Marriage Rulings
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers