N.C. Governor Pledges to Fight Marriage Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
March 19 2012 1:23 PM ET
North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue said she believes the proposed ballot initiative to ban same-sex couples from marrying in her state is wrong.
Perdue, who is not seeking re-election this fall, took to Twitter to also congratulate President Barack Obama for publicly opposing Amendment 1.
"It's poorly written and will hurt children and families across [North Carolina]," she wrote on Friday.
At a dinner with 300 Democrats on Saturday, Perdue asked, "Would you ever have thought that North Carolina in 2012 would be focused on something as bad for our economy as the amendment?" According to the Charlotte Observer, she added, "I’ll do everything I can to defeat it."
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- Alabama Probate Judges Association: We 'Cannot Legally' Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- Madonna's 12 Studio Albums Ranked
- Mormon Missionary Positions