Mass Wedding in Cleveland
BY Michelle Garcia
March 25 2012 1:05 PM ET
More than 200 gay and lesbian couples participated in a mass wedding in Cleveland, Ohio on Saturday, making it possibly the "largest illegal mass wedding ever held," according to organizers.
While some of the couples participating in the ceremony at the Galleria have already wed in states that recognize same-sex marriage, many said they were at the event to prove a point.
"There are over a thousand benefits available to married couples by the federal government that are denied to same-sex couples," participant Rick Starn said to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
If marriage equality is ever legalized in Ohio, organizers said some of the paperwork from the ceremony on Saturday could be used by gay couples in obtaining marriage licenses.
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM