Huge Effort Mobilizes Against N.C.'s Antigay Initiative
BY Neal Broverman
March 27 2012 2:20 PM ET
Fund-raising efforts aimed at defeating North Carolina's antigay Amendment One have brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars, but much more is needed to pay for TV advertisements.
The pro-equality group Protect All NC Families is launching several efforts, including the "blogswarm money bomb," focused on bloggers and activists. The "money bomb" has raised tens of thousands in just two days, reports North Carolina blogger Pam Spaulding, of Pam's House Blend. As of Tuesday afternoon, the "money bomb" had raised over $23,000, with a goal of bringing in $25,000 to defeat Amendment One, which would constitutionally ban marriage equality in the Tar Heel State.
A total of $150,000 has rolled in to Protect All NC Families over the past two days, Spaulding reports. The group wants to raise a total of $2,000,000 and place ads against Amendment One in North Carolina's largest media markets, she writes.
"Protect All NC Families has already raised more than $950,000 in financial contributions, the vast majority from thousands of individual North Carolina donors, as well as key coalition members the Human Rights Campaign, Replacements, Ltd, Self-Help, Equality NC, the ACLU and others," according to a release from the organization. "The campaign launched this week’s fund-raising campaign, also known as a 'money bomb,' as a primarily online effort in order to bring a national focus to Protect All NC Families and their efforts to defeat Amendment One. The money bomb will encompass a major social media fund-raising push, state and national blogger outreach, the coalition campaign’s over 100 partner organizations and others to build on the campaign’s momentum."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM