Gay Chilean Dies Following Neo-Nazi Attack
BY Josh Hinkle
March 28 2012 2:54 PM ET
Gay Chilean Daniel Zamudio died Tuesday after being in critical condition for more than three weeks.
Zamudio was beaten at a park in Santiago, Chile, March 3 by four gang members allegedly associated with a neo-Nazi group. According to Buenos Aires Herald, Zamudio was violently hit in the head, burned with cigarettes, marked with Nazi symbols and cut part of his ear.
"He is a victim of homophobia, of the hatred that some have towards those who have a different sexual orientation," Jamie Parada, leader of the Homosexual Liberation Movement, said to the Herald. "Today, we consider him a martyr."
Four suspects ranging in age from 19 to 25 have been arrested and charged with attempted murder reports the Herald. New charges have not yet been filed following Zamudio's death.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 9 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 49 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM